Saturday, February 9, 2013

Super Bowl Spread

This Super Bowl I went as healthy as I could. I took my favorite recipes: buffalo wings, mozzarella sticks and spinach dip; and made them healthy but still tasty. My splurge? Baked Brie. Was it worth it? Duh. Plus it is cheese. Is it really THAT bad? Shhh! Don't answer that...


On the menu:
Baked Buffalo Wings

After reading lots of recipes on both pinterest and food network I ended up creating my own based on all of the recipes that I read.

Ingredients:
1 package boneless skinless chicken tenders, cut into bite size pieces
1 cup of flour
3 eggs
1/4 cup of skim milk
Spices and seasonings--I used cavenders, paprika, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder
1 bottle Frank's Hot Sauce
Lite Blue Cheese Dressing

Preheat oven to 375

In one bowl combine the eggs and milk. In another combine the flour and all your spices. I LOVE cavenders. It goes in just about everything I make. I also just added (about a tablespoon) of onion powder, garlic powder and paprika. Play around with this. I think flavorful flour makes a flavorful chicken bite.

Dip the chicken in the egg and shake off excess. Dredge it in the flour (the lighter the better) and place on a baking sheet. Do this with all the pieces.

Bake for about 20-30 minutes or until golden. Flip halfway through.

Place cooked chicken in a big bowl and pour the hot sauce over. Give a good stir and serve hot!

I used Lite Blue Cheese dressing as a dipping sauce. You could use light ranch too.
How yummy do they look???

Skinny Spinach Dip

This recipe I found on SkinnyTaste--a yummy blog with healthy food!

Here is her recipe:
Hot Spinach Dip
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes 
Servings: 10 • Serving Size: 1/4 cup Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 3 pts

Calories: 92.2 • Fat: 6.8 g Carb: 3.0 g Fiber: 0.7 g Protein: 5.3 g



  • 10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and excess liquid squeezed out
  • 1/2 cup light sour cream
  • 5 tbsp light mayonnaise
  • 1/3 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
  • 1/4 cup scallion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 1 cup (4 oz) shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
  • fresh pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375°.

Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl. Place in an oven-proof dish and bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes, until hot and cheese is melted. Serve right away.

 Click HERE for her full blog with pictures and all! Mine turned out really well! I served them with Baked Scoops.


Baked Mozzarella Sticks
These were by far the FAVORITE of the party. I found them on Pinterest. But it turns out they are from Skinny Taste too! Quickly becoming my go-to resource for food. Click HERE for the full recipe with pictures!

Basically you cut the cheese sticks in half (I used the weight watchers ones) and put them in the freezer. When they are frozen, roll them in flour, dip in egg and them dip in a mixture of Panko and Italian Breadcrumbs. Bake in the over at 350 for 20 minutes--turning once in between. SO yummy!!!

My brother (who is NOT so in to healthy foods) LOVED these! And asked me to make them again the next night. I call that a success.

Easy Baked Brie
This is one of my go-to party pleasers. It is SO easy and so yummy.

Ingredients:
1 Round of brie
1 can of crescent rolls
Jelly/Jam of your choice

Preheat the oven to 350.

Unroll the crescent rolls. Place the brie (white skin on) in the middle of the crescent rolls. Start wrapping the rolls up the sides, but leave the top open. Spread your favorite jam (I love raspberry) on top of the brie. Continue to cover in the crescent rolls.

Place in a round oven safe dish with a lip because when the brie is hot it will leak. Cook for about 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with nice crackers (we use Breton) and apples and/or grapes.

So there it is! My super bowl spread. It was so delish we ate it all for days!

No comments:

Post a Comment